- Article about different tips and tricks in using the FlexBox CSS layouts.
- Explanation of a human tendency to overestimate his capabilities. Also know as Lake Wobegon effect.
- Interesting short video about fat burning hormone and how eat when need to lose weight or gain weight.
- Hanselminutes podcast episode about how the HD remake of Age Of Empires 2 game made the way to daylight.
- Interesting Tim Ferris podcast episode with Dave Camarillo about fighting, self defence and benefits of cross-training.
- Good article that explains when is the best time to drink a coffee to maximize its impact on cognitive functions.
- Short video that gives a 4 tips what to best do with your free time.
- Interesting video about the link of fasting and inflammation.
- Long and very interesting conversation with DHH on Tim Ferris podcast about racing, programming, state of flow, business, education and many other things.
- Very interesting Tim Ferris show podcast episode about the placebo.
- Tim Ferris show episode with Cal Fussman was very enjoyable because of great storytelling abilities of guest. Most interesting part was interaction with his idol Muhammad Ali.
- Another interesting TFS episode with Jocko Willink where he answers the readers questions. I admire his ability to get straight replies to very very unpleasant questions.
- This week started to experiment with using new browser SlimJet, which looks to me faster than Chrome, but uses the same features (same rendering engine, all the extensions from Chrome Store etc.). Looks like it will be a preferred choice for near future as sometimes I get tired by Chrome resource hogging.
- Interesting article about how a guy went from zero to software engineer in 12 months.
- Last Sunday I participated in Lattelecom Riga Marathon 2017 and run the half marathon distance. The result is a couple of minutes slower than year before and I can attribute that seriously smaller amount of km done (several last weeks barely 10 km per week) and a little warmer weather on top of that. This was also the first race where I didn’t eat the breakfast before race at all and also skipped the dinner the day before. The last meal was around 16:00 in afternoon on previous day. I guess the carbs is not primary fuel all the time and that’s a good thing, imho.
- Interesting video that explains why millennials how a hard time working in job for prolonged period.
- Short video that explains how keto diet can help cure cancer for dogs.
Interesting article that covers many experiences working with Node.js for 5 years in various projects.
Super inspiring TFS podcast episode with Tony Robbins about fulfillment in life and how to find it.
- Yesterday I went to play volley with work colleagues and today body is really hurting in every place. I haven’t been playing volley for long time and running and stretching is not always enough to easily adapt to different type of exercise.
I’ve been using AngularJs for around 3 years in some projects. As Angular 2 landed a stable version some months ago I thought that it’s good time to start to learn some Angular 2. The official tutorial provides with some basics of CRUD application with routing and http service, also touches some more advanced concepts like Observables.
Nice Powershell command that show memory used by process => (Get-Process code | Measure-Object WorkingSet -sum).sum / 1GB. This concrete example measures memory used by Visual Studio Code.
Nice video that explains some common myths of low carb diets.
- Article about 10 bad habits that must be eliminated from your life.
- Packt publishing gives away one of their books for free every day.
- Interesting article that explains how important is the teaching method not the underlying subject to be tought. Basically it boils to growth mindset vs fixed mindset, but the article has some concrete points like focus on finding joy of knowing that the people can learn the subject, rather than the joy of just getting a high mark.
- Tim Ferris show episode number 151 with Caroline Paul which was one of the first firefighters in San Francisco. The main idea is how to overcome your fear. Fear is one of the things how we assess the real world situations, but we can’t give it too much priority, because otherwise we can become paralyzed.
- Hanselminutes podcast episode number 556 with Amir Rajan about being polyglot programmer. Is this a good idea and how to tackle it best?
- The 3 years old article from Times Magazine about saturated fats and how they were demonized in last century 70’s. Nowadays we see the heart related diseases statistics keeps growing and getting worse and worse. And one the biggest problems is that we switched from fat to carbohydrates as the main source of energy which in longer term negatively impacts our metabolism and creates a whole range of modern human diseases.
Another interesting Tim Ferris show episode with Joshua Skenes how is the chef and owner of Saison (3 Michelin star rated restaurant in San Francisco). Most interesting part to me was he’s idea how important is to appreciate the food that we take for granted and live in harmony with nature.
- Short movie that explain in very approachable way why people get fat as result insulin resistance which is triggered by rapid sugar releases.
- Interesting episode number 49 from “2 keto dudes” podcast about how one the podcast hosts Carl Franklin helped this friend convert to keto lifestyle. And small video/gif that show how obesity rates is changed around the world from 1975 to 2014.
Short article that states that addiction to Facebook and Twitter is similar to addiction to slot machines. Quote from article: “Our brains respond to what psychologists call intermittent variable rewards: If we don’t know what we’re going to get, we keep coming back. This is what fuels popular smartphone apps as well as habits like gambling.”
Cool video that shows how 1000 musicians perform Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit” song in perfect sync.